LIFESTYLE NEWS - With our country's beautiful scenery, cultural history and wealth of fauna and flora, biking holidays are fast becoming a popular choice for families as a way to enjoy the great outdoors together.
Once you’ve done the research and found the perfect destination for your bike trip, the hardest part is out the way.
Next is to line up all your family’s gear and get packing.
- It starts with helmets, rain jackets and shoes and the next thing you know is that you’ve packed far too much. Trim down your packing list and make a checklist that’s right for your family.
- Set aside a durable, spacious duffel bag for each family member’s gear. Then add rolling suitcases or backpacks for clothes, shoes and activities for the kids.
- A multi-sport bike trailer is the best way to ensure you see all the sights with the kids on board; they will be happy and comfortable in their spacious cockpit with plenty of windows, pockets for the snacks, and a five-point harness to keep them safe.
- It’s a good idea to purchase a good child bike seat that will allow you and your most treasured cargo to enjoy the ride safely. Front and rear seats are available.
- A hip belt is a convenient way to keep phones safe and is an added storage bonus for essential tools and snacks.
- Avoid the car space challenge and invest in a cargo box that fits onto the roof rack. A range of sizes and models are available to match your vehicle and price range.
- Shop for the correct bike rack for your car and needs. From hitch-mounted bike racks that tilt out of the way for easy access or platform racks that grab onto the wheels for simple loading and unloading, there is bound to be a suitable option for you and your family. Look out for new rear door-mounted bike racks, which can be used for a variety of vehicles. They lock to your vehicle and lock your bike to the rack.
- There has been huge growth in sales of e-bikes for those who want to enjoy biking without too much hard work. You can also get easy-to-use, towbar-mounted racks for all types of bikes, including e-bikes.
* Source: thulestore.co.za