KAROO NEWS - According to President Cyril Ramaphosa’s address to the nation on 14 December, the Sarah Baartman District has been identified as a Covid-19 hotspot. Hotspots are identified as areas showing a surge in Covid-19 cases.
Within this district falls the Dr Beyers Naudé Local Municipality (DBNLM).
According to the Eastern Cape Department of Health, 13 areas within DBNLM had seen surges in Covid-19 cases, as of 13 December. These areas are Asherville, Graaff-Reinet (town), Jansenville, Klipplaat, Kroonvale, Lotusville, Nieu-Bethesda, Rietbron, Santaville, Selfbou, Steytlerville, Umasizakhe and Willowmore.
Also in the Sarah Baartman District is the Sundays River Valley Local Municipality, where Addo, Paterson and Kirkwood (town) have been identified as hotspots. In the Blue Crane Route Local Municipality, the hotspots are Aeroville, Cookhouse, Karee Krantz Farm, Mnandi, Old Location, Pearston, Somerset East and West View.
The breakdown per local towns, as on 13 December, are:
- Graaff-Reinet: 2000 total cases, 186 new cases, 1762 recoveries, 52 deaths
- Aberdeen: 411 total cases, 22 active cases, 383 recoveries, 6 deaths
- Willowmore: 243 total cases, 22 active cases, 214 recoveries, 7 deaths
- Kirkwood: 776 total cases, 12 active cases, 719 recoveries, 45 deaths
- Steytlerville: 181 total cases, 9 active cases, 171 recoveries, 1 death
- Klipplaat: 117 total cases, 8 active cases, 107 recoveries, 2 deaths
- Nieu Bethesda: 15 total cases, 8 active cases, 6 recoveries, 1 death
- Cookhouse: 331 total cases, 7 active cases, 320 recoveries, 4 deaths
- Jansenville: 194 active cases, 6 active cases, 183 recoveries, 5 deaths
- Rietbron: 10 total cases, 5 active cases, 5 recoveries, 0 deaths
In a recent statement, DBNLM Mayor Deon De Vos urged local communities to wear masks, wash hands and to practice social distancing. “Let us work together to prevent the spread of the virus,” he said.
'We bring you the latest Karoo news'